Wednesday 14 December 2016

58 Floods

14 December 2016



Today was a convincing proof of my message from yesterday that troubles multiply and come at the most inconvenient times. I spent the early part of this morning fighting off despairing thoughts about my swallowing difficulty. Then something happened that totally banished such silly thoughts from my mind. Cheryl had started a load of laundry and shortly after we discovered a flood on the floor of the laundry room.

The emergency response Geoff turned on and I quickly located the wet/dry vac and started sucking up the pond. Cheryl was still debating whether a sponge or cloths would be best and she was most impressed by how quickly the water disappeared into the vac.  We filled the vac about 8 times before the floor was dry. I had gone way beyond my energy limit so I collapsed exhausted for a while. We had experienced trouble before with the lint filter becoming clogged and the water overflowing. The filter was indeed clogged so with my last remaining strength I changed the filter and turned the washer back on.

Ten minutes later Cheryl looked down the laundry chute and saw -  water. It's amazing how we can always find just a bit more energy. This time there was even more water on the floor so most of our morning was spent on flood clean up but, I didn't worry about my swallowing at all.

Clearly the washer, which is over 30 years old, had experienced a fatal aneurysm so in the afternoon Cheryl ordered a new one.

 One reason I was able to cope was that I have increased my pain medication to my previous level of 2.0ml every 4 hours. That takes care of the physical pain but what to do about the mental pain?  Having 2 floods works for getting rid of silly thoughts but surely there must be an easier answer! Perhaps the vacuum cleaner!! Evidently in China the vac has been used in clinical trial for OCD. I think I will give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment